The Squadron badge of 610 (County of Chester) Squadron was designed by T.J. Heaton — Armstrong who was Chester Herald and Inspector of RAF Badges at the College of Arms. It depicts the Chester City badge — ‘A garb, party per pale, gules and azure’. (A wheat sheaf divided vertically red and blue). This was approved and signed by HM King Edward VIII in July 1936.
The following information was inserted in the Squadron Operations Record Book (RAF Form 540) dated 29/10/1936: ‘Notification in Air Ministry Order A256/36 that the Squadron badge had been approved by His Majesty The King. The badge consists of the standard frame for RAF badges and in it placed a Wheatsheaf divided into two parts and coloured red and blue. The motto at the foot is ‘Alifero Tolitur Axe Ceres’. The reasons influencing the choice of the badge were the fact that the Armorial Bearings of the City of Chester consist of a Wheatsheaf, one of which in their Arms is dimidiated. The colours of the Shield for the City of Chester are red and blue. The motto translated means, ‘Ceres (The Godess of Corn) rises in a Winged Car’ (chariot) and is a quotation from Ovid.
Please note that there are instances of websites and museums depicting incorrectly the 610 (County of Chester) Squadron badge. The information above is accurate.